August 14th, Are We Really Independent?

Controversial Yet Realistic

We celebrate August 14th as Pakistan's Independence Day every year. Flags are raised, national songs are played, and social media fills with patriotic messages.

But let me ask a more uncomfortable question:

As a nation, as a society, and as individuals—are we really independent?


Context

Independence is not simply the absence of a foreign ruler.

Independence means having the ability to make decisions about your own life, question what you believe is wrong, establish boundaries, and disagree with someone more powerful without automatically being labelled disobedient, disrespectful, difficult, or ungrateful.

Unfortunately, this is where our society continues to struggle.

We live in an environment where the right to live your own life is often decided by people who believe their experience gives them permanent authority over everyone younger than them.

Instead of carrying forward the useful lessons of one generation, we often carry forward the same pressures, fears, restrictions, and social conditioning that previous generations themselves experienced.

That is not inheritance.

That is recycled control.

This is what I call the "level-playing-field" problem.

The older generation establishes the rules, the younger generation is expected to follow them, and anyone questioning those rules is immediately accused of disrespect.

Then the cycle repeats.


The Deeper Problem

Whether we are Gen-X, Millennials, or Gen-Z, there is one uncomfortable reality we need to acknowledge:

We have confused authority with correctness.

Someone being older does not automatically make their decision correct.

Someone being a parent does not automatically make their opinion beyond questioning.

Someone holding a senior designation does not automatically make their judgment infallible.

And someone controlling an institution does not automatically make the institution morally right.

I have experienced this distinction personally.

There have been situations in my professional life where questioning a decision was treated less like professional disagreement and more like an act of defiance.

I have seen how quickly "integrity" becomes a convenient word when it is being defined by the person holding institutional authority.

I have also experienced what happens when an employee attempts to defend his own position inside a corporate structure where the balance of power is overwhelmingly tilted toward the institution.

I will deliberately keep the names, organization, individuals, and specific circumstances anonymous.

Not because I have nothing to say.

Because the principle is bigger than the individuals involved.

The lesson I took from that experience was simple:

A person can have a job and still not have independence.

A person can have a designation and still not have authority over his own circumstances.

A person can speak and still discover that speaking has consequences.

And an institution can call something "procedure" while the individual standing on the other side experiences it as pressure.

That is where the concept of independence becomes real.

Because independence is not tested when everyone agrees with you.

Independence is tested when you disagree with someone who has power over you.


Personal Observation

Even in 2026, I continue to question how Pakistan prepares its younger generation.

Our educational system still pushes young people toward a relatively narrow definition of success: medicine, engineering, computer science, or a limited number of socially acceptable professional paths.

Everything outside those boundaries is frequently treated as secondary, uncertain, or somehow less respectable.

Then we wonder why young Pakistanis become frustrated when they encounter a world that operates according to completely different principles.

The modern world rewards adaptability.

Our society often rewards conformity.

The modern workplace increasingly values communication, problem-solving, accountability, and independent thinking.

Yet many organizational environments still operate through hierarchy, fear, and the assumption that questioning a senior person is automatically disrespectful.

That contradiction is destroying independence at its roots.

I have experienced this personally in the corporate environment.

I have seen people occupy positions of authority while struggling to communicate clearly, yet expecting unquestioned compliance from people beneath them.

I have seen organizational politics become more important than organizational development.

I have seen workplace toxicity normalized because challenging it creates more trouble for the person who speaks than for the people creating the environment.

And I have learned something important from those experiences:

Never confuse a designation with competence.

A title can be assigned.

Authority can be delegated.

A position can be removed.

But integrity, judgment, communication skills, and professional character have to be demonstrated.

That applies equally to parents, managers, executives, teachers, politicians, and anyone else who believes their position gives them unlimited authority over another human being.


Independence Requires Accountability

This is also where I disagree with the way we sometimes discuss empowerment.

Give people confidence—but also teach them accountability.

Give women confidence—but also teach them communication, responsibility, emotional maturity, and respect for boundaries.

Give men confidence—but also teach them responsibility, self-control, and respect for others.

Give children freedom—but teach them consequences.

Give employees authority—but teach them accountability.

Empowerment without accountability simply replaces one form of entitlement with another.

I am not against feminism.

I am not against confident women.

I am not against ambitious men.

I am against any ideology being used as a justification for overpowering another person.

Confidence does not mean you get to dominate.

Independence does not mean you get to disregard everyone else.

Freedom does not mean freedom from accountability.

And respect does not mean unquestioned obedience.


So, Are We Really Independent?

This is the question I want to leave on August 14th.

We achieved political independence in 1947.

But have we achieved social independence?

Can a young person disagree with his parents without being branded disrespectful?

Can an employee question an institutional decision without fearing retaliation?

Can a professional challenge a senior without being labelled difficult?

Can a husband establish boundaries without being treated as disobedient?

Can a wife disagree without being treated as rebellious?

Can a student choose a different career without being told that he has ruined his future?

Can an ordinary citizen question authority without immediately becoming the problem?

If the answer to these questions is no, then perhaps our independence is still incomplete.

Because a country can be politically independent while its people remain psychologically dependent on approval, hierarchy, social pressure, and fear.

That is not the independence I want.

I want an environment where respect flows in both directions.

Where seniors guide instead of dominate.

Where parents advise instead of dictate.

Where managers lead instead of intimidate.

Where institutions investigate instead of presume.

Where employees can defend themselves without being punished simply for speaking.

Where women can be confident without being entitled.

Where men can establish boundaries without being labelled insecure.

Where Gen-Z can question Millennials.

Where Millennials can question Gen-X.

Where Gen-X can question the generation before them.

And where questioning something does not automatically become an act of disrespect.

Because if every generation simply inherits the restrictions of the previous generation and then imposes those same restrictions on the next one, what exactly have we carried forward?

Independence should mean that the next generation gets a better playing field—not the same rigged one with a different set of players.

So yes, I will celebrate August 14th.

I will respect the sacrifices that created Pakistan.

But I will also ask the uncomfortable question.

Are we really independent—or have we simply changed the person holding the authority over us?

Happy Independence Day.

Pakistan deserves not only independent borders, but independent minds.

0 Comments

Body Shaming by Baby Boomers just by using Religion as Veil

I Was Reviewing My Old WhatsApp Messages When… I was reviewing some of my old WhatsApp messages when I came across an old message from someone pointing toward me, essentially suggesting that I was disregarding my parents. I read it again. And instead of becoming angry, I started thinking about something much more fundamental: When did respecting parents become synonymous with surrendering your own judgment? Context I am not angry at them. What bothers me is something considerably deeper: the selective use of religion as a veil. When someone wants to justify a position, religion suddenly becomes the final argument. "Parents must be respected." "Parents have sacrificed for you." "You cannot disregard your parents." Fine. I agree. But if religion is being invoked, then the entire religious framework has to be applied—not only the portion that conveniently supports one side of the argument. Islam unquestionably commands kindness and respect toward parents. The...